Chocolate Easter bunnies are being recalled by the Co-op – as they could cause internal burns or choking.
It has been alleged that a tampering incident in Nottingham could have taken place after a small battery was discovered inside one of the foil-wrapped chocolate treats.
The Co-op says that just over 3,000 units of the product have been sold nationwide and the company has clarified that no other products are affected.
The National Crime Agency, which deals with food tampering incidents, and police forces are helping with the investigation, which is a criminal matter. The Food Standards Agency has been notified and is assisting.
A spokesperson for the Co-op said, “The health and safety of our customers is uppermost in our minds. We are concerned about one incident of alleged product tampering involving our hollow milk chocolate Easter bunny foil figure, which has been found to contain a small battery inside.”
“This follows an incident at Christmas when two similar products were targeted and contaminated. As a precaution, we have begun a UK-wide product recall and have withdrawn the product from sale.”
Customers with one of these products should not eat it but take the product back to store for a full refund. Anyone who is concerned should call Co-op customer services on Freephone 0800 0686 727.
At the end of last year, as part of the #12daysofsafety campaign, Buy Wise Be Safe highlighted the risk smaller batteries, like button batteries, pose to young children. Once swallowed, within minutes, internal burns can occur or a child could choke as the battery blocks their airways.
To remind yourself about how to make your home as safe as possible for your child, be sure to reread the advice we gave in the #12daysofsafety campaign in December 2016.