So (maybe, hypothetically!) the tree is up and your home is now a winter wonderland with tinsel around the tree – but is your home safe for Santa? If you followed the weekend’s advice, you’ve made a start! But there’s still a week of advice and tips left in our #12daysofsafety campaign before you can really be ready for Christmas.
- Did you know – novelty decorations are not meant to be used as toys. The young children in your home may find the temptation to play with them too much to resist. Consider using these types of decorations where young children can’t see or reach them. Better still, don’t use them at all as they don’t have to comply with the strict toy safety regulations which prevent needless injury. Never allow a young child in a room unattended or unsupervised during the festive period. There are plenty of choking risks around the home during Christmas, including tinsel, rope lights, garland and any tree decorations that a small child could put in their mouths.
- Check out the video we shared yesterday on facebook.com/buywisebesafe about how you can stop a child from choking… in seconds. As our advice says here, when a child is choking it can be silent – with most cases of choking involving children under the age of 5.
- We encouraged you to check the wiring of Christmas lights and decorative lights on the weekend when the decorations were unearthed from where they were stored. But when was your chimney last cleaned? It’s the perfect way of ensuring your home is safe from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – which is a silent killer. You can explain to your young children you’re getting the chimney clean for Santa’s arrival!
If the chimney is getting some attention, make sure you have tested your home’s smoke and carbon monoxide alarms as well. You should be testing these alarms at least once a month, according to official advice from the Fire Brigade.