Day three and four advice for #12daysofsafety

The first weekend of Christmas is usually the time when the Christmas decorations are brought out of storage and the joyful job of decorating the home begins.
But can you recall when you purchased the lights you are about to wrap around your tree? How about the tinsel or decorations?

Safety laws have advanced quickly, as has the technology which protects electrical goods from overheating or failing. Having this hidden protection in your lights can be the difference between having a memorable and safe Christmas for all the right reasons – or not.

Our safety experts from across the South West have compiled this handy list for you to remember when you are decorating your homes – be it this weekend or later.

  • Never leave burning candles unattended, make sure you put them out before going to bed and do not put them on Christmas trees.
  • Novelty decorations are not toys and do not have to comply with toy safety regulations. Keep them out of the reach of young hands.
  • Overloading extension leads and adaptors can cause a fire.
  • Beware of choking hazards to young children, such as burst balloons, small toy parts and tree decorations.
  • Don’t place your tree, or decorations, near a naked flame. The video we shared on our social media channels was started from faulty lights, but it demonstrates how flammable Christmas trees are!
  • Chocolates on trees and any of the decorations can be a choking hazard for little ones – supervision when children are around the tree is a must! Also chocolate is not something for animals to eat as well – specifically dogs as it is poisonous.
  • Check the condition of wiring on Christmas lights. Time spent in storage could have degraded casing that protects power connections. Decorations may have deteriorated as well, and be aware that these can be too tempting for children to not pull on or place in their mouths. Supervision is key during this time of year.
  • Lights left on that decorate a tree can also become hot – enough to burn the delicate skin of children aged 5 and under. Try to make sure you young children don’t touch lights that could burn them.

Don’t miss out on seeing the damage unsafe wiring on Christmas lights can do to you home. We posted a video showing exactly what can happen as part of our ‘Day Two’ advice in the #12daysofsafety campaign on our social media channels found at www.facebook.com/buywisebesafe or www.twitter.com/buywisebesafe