#SummerSafety campaign launched today

A HOME safety initiative is reminding parents of under 5s of the dangers that blind cords can pose to their children.

The warning comes after an inquest heard at the end of last month how a two-year-old tragically died after being strangled by a blind cord in her bedroom.

Macy Fletcher’s death, at the start of this year, is one of the 29 toddler deaths connected to blind cords since 1999 – according to accident statistics.

A regulation change in 2014 states that all blinds sold and installed must have the cords attached to the wall; have a chain break feature or a wand-style device to open and close them.

But as part of Buy Wise Be Safe’s Summer Safety campaign it hopes to promote best practice advice that should save lives and prevent under 5s from being seriously injured.

Launching on Monday July 15th, #SummerSafety will address the many risks that can be found in the home during summer and from travelling to attractions like the beach. During the week-long campaign, parents and carers of under 5s will be reminded of the steps they can take to  help keep their kids safe.

Stuart Radnedge, spokesman for Buy Wise Be Safe, said: “Blind cords are unforgiving if a young child becomes tangled in one. It’s why the regulations were introduced in 2014. But how many people know about it?

“Security devices can be purchased and installed cost-effectively, which should prevent accidents from happening. But there are do’s and don’ts for this risk to under 5s wellbeing, and all the others around the home, which can be followed very easily.

“Make safety your choice this summer.”

Visit www.buywisebesafe.org.uk for all the advice on #SummerSafety and to gain other safety tips.

To follow the campaign on social media please visit www.facebook.com/buywisebesafe or www.twitter.com/buywisebesafe