Safety group targets reduction in under 5s burns

Buy Wise Be Safe will be sharing best practice online targeting parents and carers of under 5s in a bid to reduce the numbers of small children suffering burns during this time of year.  

There is a noticeable spike in under 5s suffering burns during this time of year which is why Buy Wise Be Safe, a South West based initiative, is highlighting the importance of safety during Halloween and Bonfire Night.

Working once again with University Hospital Bristol NHS Trust (UH Bristol), the duo will be highlighting best practice on the Buy Wise Be Safe website and sharing safety videos on its social media accounts.

Messages from clinicians at the hospital, the South West’s specialist treatment centre for Paediatric Burns, will be posted throughout the #BurnsAwarenessWeek – which runs from October 24th to November 5th.

During the four week period surrounding Bonfire Night admissions to A&E for burn related injuries increase substantially; so to help parents Buy Wise Be Safe has launched a Burns Awareness Week campaign offering great advice to keep youngsters safe.

Stuart Radnedge, spokesman for Buy Wise Be Safe, said, “The risk of an under 5 suffering a burn at home is heightened during the four weeks surrounding Bonfire Night. The South West, on the whole, has higher than average statistics involving burns and under 5s with the latest three-year study statistics showing it’s the second worst performing region in the country.”

“This statistic is something we’d like to change and, with Halloween and Bonfire night just days away, the risk factor is increasing. But following our handy hints and tips can really help keep a young child in your care safe.”

“We’re really thankful for the partnership we have with UH Bristol. Hopefully we can reduce the amount of people that need their expert care this year!”

Follow our messages via facebook.com/buywisebesafe and twitter.com/buywisebesafe or visit www.buywisebesafe.org.uk for more detailed advice.

#Bewareofburns – New safety promotion partnership could significantly reduce burn injuries

Buy Wise Be Safe (BWBS) and University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust (UH Bristol) have got together to form a new partnership which is set to address ways in which families can stay safe by making simple changes to their routine and environment, to prevent accidents from happening.

To launch the partnership, BWBS and UH Bristol will be promoting a safety campaign, focused on burns caused by heated beauty products including straighteners and hot brushes. #Bewareofburns will go live on Monday 5 June, which will coincide with Child Safety Week (5 – 11 June). Information and advice will be available online for parents and carers to access, with tips on how to safely use heated beauty products, what safety features to look for when buying these items and what to do in an event when someone gets burnt.

Recent statistics from Bristol Royal Hospital for Children shows a staggering 90 per cent of children admitted with burns from hair straighteners were under the age of five. The data also found there wasn’t a difference in the number of boys and girls burnt.

Mr Jonathon Pleat, burns lead at Bristol Royal Hospital for Children, said: “We are delighted to be working alongside Buy Wise Be Safe, to promote safety and to try and prevent accidents from happening.

“Although this campaign is targeted at parents and carers of children under the age of five, we are hopeful this information and guidance is of use to anyone using heated beauty products, to protect themselves from being burnt or injured.

“We see children from across the South West and Wales with burn injuries and treat them with the skilled team in our national burns centre. However, we want to prevent as many of these cases as possible from occurring through simple measures that can reduce the risk dramatically.

“A child’s skin is much more fragile than an adult.  It only takes a second at the temperature which some of these devices reach to cause permanent scarring. In some cases, burns may appear in more than one place as a result of grabbing or stepping on the heated blade surfaces.   The risk is greatly reduced if items such as tongs or hair straighteners are placed out the reach of children or put in the supplied protective covers while the surfaces are hot.  Further, it is vital to purchase devices with safety features that can reduce the risk – for example, some have a timer that automatically turns the power off after a certain amount of time.

“These burns are all the more tragic because typically they affect the very young, the effects can be life-long and they are entirely preventable.”

Stuart Radnedge, spokesman for Buy Wise Be Safe, said: “Over the last year the National Trading Standards Safety at Ports and Borders Teams have detained a number of consignments of electrical beauty products such as hair straighteners and hot brushes. Following testing these products have been found to not comply with standards required by UK and EU law and have therefore been destroyed.

“While National Trading Standards is working hard to prevent unsafe goods reaching consumers we would always recommend that people undertake basic checks when buying online, to ensure they are buying from a reputable seller. Our general rule of thumb is if an online deal looks too good to be true then it probably is.

“It’s not just cheap or knock-off goods that pose a threat to consumers. Any item that heats up has the potential to scald or burn someone. Sadly, with straighteners and tongs reaching temperatures of 230°C, these items can remain hot long after use, which is why it is important to stow them safely and look for safety features that can reduce the likelihood of being burnt.

“Thankfully with our new partnership with UH Bristol, even more parents and carers of under 5s should receive superb safety advice that will help keep youngsters safe from harm around the home.”

Visit www.buywisebesafe.org.uk for the website, www.facebook.com/buywisebesafe for the Facebook page, and www.twitter.com/buywisebesafe for the Twitter page.

Co-op chocolate bunnies recalled as they could pose burn and choking risk

Chocolate Easter bunnies are being recalled by the Co-op – as they could cause internal burns or choking.

It has been alleged that a tampering incident in Nottingham could have taken place after a small battery was discovered inside one of the foil-wrapped chocolate treats.

The Co-op says that just over 3,000 units of the product have been sold nationwide and the company has clarified that no other products are affected.

The National Crime Agency, which deals with food tampering incidents, and police forces are helping with the investigation, which is a criminal matter. The Food Standards Agency has been notified and is assisting.

A spokesperson for the Co-op said, “The health and safety of our customers is uppermost in our minds. We are concerned about one incident of alleged product tampering involving our hollow milk chocolate Easter bunny foil figure, which has been found to contain a small battery inside.”

“This follows an incident at Christmas when two similar products were targeted and contaminated. As a precaution, we have begun a UK-wide product recall and have withdrawn the product from sale.”

Customers with one of these products should not eat it but take the product back to store for a full refund. Anyone who is concerned should call Co-op customer services on Freephone 0800 0686 727.

At the end of last year, as part of the #12daysofsafety campaign, Buy Wise Be Safe highlighted the risk smaller batteries, like button batteries, pose to young children. Once swallowed, within minutes, internal burns can occur or a child could choke as the battery blocks their airways.

To remind yourself about how to make your home as safe as possible for your child, be sure to reread the advice we gave in the #12daysofsafety campaign in December 2016.

Day eleven advice for #12daysofsafety Christmas campaign

About six weeks ago we warned about the dangers that can be installed around your home in the name of Halloween. The same advice can be applied to Christmas as shops stock various fancy dress options for young children and candles can be lit around the home – particularly as part of the Advent Wreath.

  • Before you purchase any fancy dress items, make sure you have read our Halloween advice here and watched our safety video that we shared on facebook.com/buywisebesafe With some children’s fancy dress costumes, it takes less than a moment to catch alight!
  • Never leave burning candles unattended, and make sure you have extinguished all that were lit before you go to bed. Never place candles under your tree or on it, or under other decorations.

With the amount of hot ovens, food, drinks, and other heat sources that are around the home during Christmas it can be a good idea to refresh your knowledge of burns treatment. In cases of emergency cool the burn with running cold tap water for 20 minutes and remove all clothing and jewellery in the area. Call for help. Dial 999. 111 or a local GP for advice. Finally cover with cling film or a sterile, non-fluffy, dressing or cloth. Also make sure the person is kept warm.