Poisoning Prevention campaign launches Monday

Buy Wise Be Safe have launched a campaign aiming to reduce the number of under 5s being accidentally poisoned.

A recent report published by Public Health England demonstrated that accidental poisoning is on the rise in the South West, with more children aged 0-4 being rushed to A&E.  Buy Wise Be Safe is therefore dedicating its June campaign to #PoisoningPrevention to try and make a positive change.

Launching on Monday June 4th, to coincide with the nationwide Child Accident Prevention Week, #PoisoningPrevention will address the many poisoning risks that can be found in a home and the steps parents and carers of under 5s can take to make their homes safer.

Stuart Radnedge, spokesman for Buy Wise Be Safe, said: “There’s a number of poisoning risks in the modern home with cleaning chemicals, plant feeds, and other maybe innocuous seeming substances all potentially to hand for the adventurous child.  However, as the statistics from Public Health England reveal, the biggest risk is actually medicines with a staggering 69% of the total number of poisonings in the UK involving medicine.

“There are a variety of reasons as to why accidental poisonings happen but we believe they are all preventable and our campaign will provide parents/carers with the awareness they need to prevent poisoning.”

Visit www.buywisebesafe.org.uk for all the advice on #PoisoningPrevention and to gain other safety tips.

To follow the campaign on social media please visit www.facebook.com/buywisebesafe or www.twitter.com/buywisebesafe

Day six advice for #12daysofsafety Christmas campaign

So (maybe, hypothetically!) the tree is up and your home is now a winter wonderland with tinsel around the tree – but is your home safe for Santa? If you followed the weekend’s advice, you’ve made a start! But there’s still a week of advice and tips left in our #12daysofsafety campaign before you can really be ready for Christmas.

  • Did you know – novelty decorations are not meant to be used as toys. The young children in your home may find the temptation to play with them too much to resist. Consider using these types of decorations where young children can’t see or reach them. Better still, don’t use them at all as they don’t have to comply with the strict toy safety regulations which prevent needless injury. Never allow a young child in a room unattended or unsupervised during the festive period. There are plenty of choking risks around the home during Christmas, including tinsel, rope lights, garland and any tree decorations that a small child could put in their mouths.
  • Check out the video we shared yesterday on facebook.com/buywisebesafe about how you can stop a child from choking… in seconds. As our advice says here, when a child is choking it can be silent – with most cases of choking involving children under the age of 5.
  • We encouraged you to check the wiring of Christmas lights and decorative lights on the weekend when the decorations were unearthed from where they were stored. But when was your chimney last cleaned? It’s the perfect way of ensuring your home is safe from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – which is a silent killer. You can explain to your young children you’re getting the chimney clean for Santa’s arrival!

If the chimney is getting some attention, make sure you have tested your home’s smoke and carbon monoxide alarms as well. You should be testing these alarms at least once a month, according to official advice from the Fire Brigade.

Fresh warnings made after two-year-old dies from swallowing button battery

Fresh advice has been issued by NHS Chiefs following the death of a two-year-old girl who swallowed a button battery over the Christmas period.
Brianna Florer died days after swallowing a lithium battery at her home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, with the sad news prompting NHS professionals to reissue advice on how you can keep your child safe.
Button batteries are the small, round, silver-coloured lithium batteries used in many electrical toys.
The NHS advises anyone who believes their child may have swallowed one to take them to A&E immediately, saying that as well as being a choking hazard, the electrical current the batteries give out can cause burns if they become stuck.
An alert issued by NHS England said caustic soda created by the current can cause “severe tissue damage”, leading to burns, skin damage and “catastrophic haemorrhage”.
In the four years leading up to 2014, five cases of severe injury caused by button batteries had been identified in England, including one resulting in a child’s death.
“The risk affects all age groups, although most cases involve children under the age of six who mistake the battery for a sweet and older people with confusion or poor vision who mistake the battery for a pill,” an NHS spokesperson said.
Dr. Mike Durkin, the NHS England Director of Patient Safety, released a warning to GPs and hospitals to ensure they were aware of the symptoms.
He said, “As these types of batteries are common in toys and gadgets that may be given as presents, the risk of children swallowing them increases during the Christmas period.”