Day six advice for #12daysofsafety Christmas campaign

So (maybe, hypothetically!) the tree is up and your home is now a winter wonderland with tinsel around the tree – but is your home safe for Santa? If you followed the weekend’s advice, you’ve made a start! But there’s still a week of advice and tips left in our #12daysofsafety campaign before you can really be ready for Christmas.

  • Did you know – novelty decorations are not meant to be used as toys. The young children in your home may find the temptation to play with them too much to resist. Consider using these types of decorations where young children can’t see or reach them. Better still, don’t use them at all as they don’t have to comply with the strict toy safety regulations which prevent needless injury. Never allow a young child in a room unattended or unsupervised during the festive period. There are plenty of choking risks around the home during Christmas, including tinsel, rope lights, garland and any tree decorations that a small child could put in their mouths.
  • Check out the video we shared yesterday on facebook.com/buywisebesafe about how you can stop a child from choking… in seconds. As our advice says here, when a child is choking it can be silent – with most cases of choking involving children under the age of 5.
  • We encouraged you to check the wiring of Christmas lights and decorative lights on the weekend when the decorations were unearthed from where they were stored. But when was your chimney last cleaned? It’s the perfect way of ensuring your home is safe from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – which is a silent killer. You can explain to your young children you’re getting the chimney clean for Santa’s arrival!

If the chimney is getting some attention, make sure you have tested your home’s smoke and carbon monoxide alarms as well. You should be testing these alarms at least once a month, according to official advice from the Fire Brigade.

Summer Safety Campaign – Week Five

In our final week of advice relating to Summer Safety, we offer some more general advice which should ensure playtime in your garden is also safe as well as fun!

Clear the area

Inside your home we encourage you to try and see things through your child’s eyes. The messages about turning saucepan handles away from the front edge of the hob, or leaving knives on the side of your kitchen worktop, are widely known and understood. But a similar view should be taken to your garden as well.
Make sure your shed or garage is locked, especially if inside you have a number of sharp or blunt objects like hammers, drill bits, chisels, and Stanley knives – for example. Also, once it is locked, make sure the key isn’t stored somewhere your child can locate it.
If you are gardening, make sure all tools are kept out of the reach of your children. Also, if you have a lawnmower, use it and put it away – immediately after use. A child could accidentally turn it on and injure themselves very quickly.

Pet Waste

Not only would your child falling in animal waste be unpleasant for them, and you having to clean it off of them, but it can also lead to your child getting sick – or even blindness. Dog waste often contains roundworm larvae – which can cause blindness in people – but especially children. Youngsters are most at risk as they are more likely to put things in their mouth and less likely to wash their hands. Around 50 children a year in the UK suffer blindness as a result of toxocariasis (which is the illness related to the human infection of parasitic roundworms).

Ensure your garden is cleared of all animal waste regularly before your child plays outside. Also make sure litter trays are out of reach of children and any sand pits you may have, for your child to use, are covered overnight to avoid animals burying their waste in the sand.

Other tips

Just like the advice states above here, take time to see your garden from your child’s eyes. Consider how you can make steps safe in your garden and block-off any raised elements where your child could fall from height.

Also, if you are using weed killers, slug pellets or other poisons, care will need to be taken when using these – and then allowing your child to play in the same area. This is as all of these can harm children if ingested or touched.

Boots children’s sunglasses recalled

In a message from the company, it states the following.

As part of our ongoing quality monitoring we have identified that the Boots Kids Sunglasses (BOK002F) are not of the standard we would expect.

We’ve found that in some cases the product has developed a defect, leading to the flower detaching from the frame and exposing a screw, which may present a potential safety issue. Please note the item code can be found on the arm of the product.

As the sunglasses are not of the high standard we expect, we’re asking that if you have bought this product that you return it to your nearest Boots store for a refund.

If you’ve bought the item for someone else would you please let them know about this as soon as possible.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you. If you do have any concerns or need any further advice then please speak to someone at your local Boots store or call the Boots Customer Care Team on 0800 915 0004. Minicom users can call 0345 070 80 91.

IKEA bat cape recalled due to strangulation risk

IKEA urges its customers who have a LATTJO bat cape to immediately stop children from playing with it and to bring it back to any IKEA store for a full refund.

IKEA is recalling LATTJO bat capes after reports emerged of about three children that have received marks and scratches on the neck while using LATTJO bat capes. The cape got stuck and didn’t detach easily enough from the children’s necks.

No injuries which required medical treatment have been reported, but due to the risk of strangulation or injuries to the neck, IKEA has taken precautionary measures and recalls the product.

LATTJO bat capes have been sold in all IKEA markets except Russia and Indonesia since November 2015.

The LATTJO bat cape can be returned to any IKEA store for a full refund. Proof of purchase (receipt) is not required.

For more information, please contact IKEA on 0203 645 0010.

Fresh warnings made after two-year-old dies from swallowing button battery

Fresh advice has been issued by NHS Chiefs following the death of a two-year-old girl who swallowed a button battery over the Christmas period.
Brianna Florer died days after swallowing a lithium battery at her home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, with the sad news prompting NHS professionals to reissue advice on how you can keep your child safe.
Button batteries are the small, round, silver-coloured lithium batteries used in many electrical toys.
The NHS advises anyone who believes their child may have swallowed one to take them to A&E immediately, saying that as well as being a choking hazard, the electrical current the batteries give out can cause burns if they become stuck.
An alert issued by NHS England said caustic soda created by the current can cause “severe tissue damage”, leading to burns, skin damage and “catastrophic haemorrhage”.
In the four years leading up to 2014, five cases of severe injury caused by button batteries had been identified in England, including one resulting in a child’s death.
“The risk affects all age groups, although most cases involve children under the age of six who mistake the battery for a sweet and older people with confusion or poor vision who mistake the battery for a pill,” an NHS spokesperson said.
Dr. Mike Durkin, the NHS England Director of Patient Safety, released a warning to GPs and hospitals to ensure they were aware of the symptoms.
He said, “As these types of batteries are common in toys and gadgets that may be given as presents, the risk of children swallowing them increases during the Christmas period.”