#SummerSafety campaign launched today

A HOME safety initiative is reminding parents of under 5s of the dangers that blind cords can pose to their children.

The warning comes after an inquest heard at the end of last month how a two-year-old tragically died after being strangled by a blind cord in her bedroom.

Macy Fletcher’s death, at the start of this year, is one of the 29 toddler deaths connected to blind cords since 1999 – according to accident statistics.

A regulation change in 2014 states that all blinds sold and installed must have the cords attached to the wall; have a chain break feature or a wand-style device to open and close them.

But as part of Buy Wise Be Safe’s Summer Safety campaign it hopes to promote best practice advice that should save lives and prevent under 5s from being seriously injured.

Launching on Monday July 15th, #SummerSafety will address the many risks that can be found in the home during summer and from travelling to attractions like the beach. During the week-long campaign, parents and carers of under 5s will be reminded of the steps they can take to  help keep their kids safe.

Stuart Radnedge, spokesman for Buy Wise Be Safe, said: “Blind cords are unforgiving if a young child becomes tangled in one. It’s why the regulations were introduced in 2014. But how many people know about it?

“Security devices can be purchased and installed cost-effectively, which should prevent accidents from happening. But there are do’s and don’ts for this risk to under 5s wellbeing, and all the others around the home, which can be followed very easily.

“Make safety your choice this summer.”

Visit www.buywisebesafe.org.uk for all the advice on #SummerSafety and to gain other safety tips.

To follow the campaign on social media please visit www.facebook.com/buywisebesafe or www.twitter.com/buywisebesafe

Summer Safety Campaign – Week Five

In our final week of advice relating to Summer Safety, we offer some more general advice which should ensure playtime in your garden is also safe as well as fun!

Clear the area

Inside your home we encourage you to try and see things through your child’s eyes. The messages about turning saucepan handles away from the front edge of the hob, or leaving knives on the side of your kitchen worktop, are widely known and understood. But a similar view should be taken to your garden as well.
Make sure your shed or garage is locked, especially if inside you have a number of sharp or blunt objects like hammers, drill bits, chisels, and Stanley knives – for example. Also, once it is locked, make sure the key isn’t stored somewhere your child can locate it.
If you are gardening, make sure all tools are kept out of the reach of your children. Also, if you have a lawnmower, use it and put it away – immediately after use. A child could accidentally turn it on and injure themselves very quickly.

Pet Waste

Not only would your child falling in animal waste be unpleasant for them, and you having to clean it off of them, but it can also lead to your child getting sick – or even blindness. Dog waste often contains roundworm larvae – which can cause blindness in people – but especially children. Youngsters are most at risk as they are more likely to put things in their mouth and less likely to wash their hands. Around 50 children a year in the UK suffer blindness as a result of toxocariasis (which is the illness related to the human infection of parasitic roundworms).

Ensure your garden is cleared of all animal waste regularly before your child plays outside. Also make sure litter trays are out of reach of children and any sand pits you may have, for your child to use, are covered overnight to avoid animals burying their waste in the sand.

Other tips

Just like the advice states above here, take time to see your garden from your child’s eyes. Consider how you can make steps safe in your garden and block-off any raised elements where your child could fall from height.

Also, if you are using weed killers, slug pellets or other poisons, care will need to be taken when using these – and then allowing your child to play in the same area. This is as all of these can harm children if ingested or touched.

Asda boys swim shorts recalled

It’s the time of the year when swimming shorts are more than likely in demand at retailers around the UK. But Asda has announced a product recall for a wide variety of swim shorts that it sells in its George clothing line.

The company has said, “As a precaution, George is recalling (the Swim Shorts detailed below) because the quality of the mesh lining is not to our required specification.”


The styles affected by the recall are two check design, striped, hibiscus, shark, skull, and photographic surf – for the age ranges between 4 and 14 years old.

What should you do?

If you have purchased these swim shorts, please return to product to your local Asda store for a full refund. For further information please contact Asda Customer Relations – 0800 952 0101

Summer Safety Campaign – Week Three

In the sunshine of the last few days it is likely that you and your child have been cooling off in water – maybe by using a paddling pool in the garden. This is perfectly fine, but supervision is key – as babies and toddlers can drown in just a few inches of water.

Water Safety

As our advice on Drowning states, water is fascinating for young children and a great source of fun and exercise – but it is also a danger if children are left to play in it, or near it, unsupervised. Drowning is one of the main causes of accidental death in babies and young children. Make sure you follow the link to get all the advice we offer. https://www.buywisebesafe.org.uk/en/risk-category/drowning/

On the Beach

Again, supervision is key when taking a trip to the seaside. It’s a source of great enjoyment for a child but the dangers should not be ignored.

Our friends at the RNLI have offered the following advice to ensure trip to the coast is one to remember for happy reasons. They say,

–           Always swim at a lifeguarded beach, between the red and yellow flags

–           Remember swimming in the sea is very different from swimming in a pool

–           Find and read the safety signs

–           Spot the dangers

–           If you’re in an emergency, stick your hand up and wave for help


There’s also loads more safety advice on their website www.rnli.org
Be sure to visit www.buywisebesafe.org.uk next week when we warn about the dangers of BBQs, firepits, and garden torches.